Is fearr Gaeilge briste, na Bearla cliste
Land of Lucky Charms, Rainbows with pots of Gold at the end, Leprechauns, and green. Oh did I forget Potatoes?
This month’s Absolute Write Blog Chain is on St. Patrick’s day or Ireland.
Who doesn’t like the Irish, laid back unless you get their temper. Beautiful people and beautiful minds. No I have yet to go there. It is on the bucket list along with my three month walk about in the UK. Just a short hop skip and a jump across the Irish Sea.
I grew up reading about the Irish in all of my romance novels, I devoured quite a few. And I have yet to decide with is better the Irish accent or the Scottish brogue.
I will give this, they have good recipes, Potato and Leek soup. Was actually really good. There are a few other recipes that I have to try.
But the way they speak?
Where are the “th’s” ? Yes, that sound seems to be missing from their everyday speak. But it sounds wonderful. Thursday is just T’ursday. And a tongue twister of all “t” words? Brilliant.
I went looking for things that the Irish say that we in America don’t. And some of them I get, some well…. It’s a thingy…
1. “Sure look it” : If you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re not sure what to say, use this phrase.
2. “the jacks” : This be the restrooms (evidently they don’t use ‘restroom’ over there).
3. “Arseways” : yeah, I hope ye can figure it out. Basically it was buggered and went the wrong way.
4. “the press” : the cupboard. I don’t get it? cupboard = press ummmm….. no
5. “wrecked” : very tired. I think we use this here too when someone was out a little to late and isn’t completely functioning in the morning. 😀
6. “Minerals” : equals soft drinks or soda. hmmm another one to think upon.
7. “I will yea” : means I definitely won’t. Oh I love this!!
I am linking the pages I found them at, but…
irishcentral.com 35 Irish sayings and phrases you need to learn before you visit. 3.2.2015
irishcentral.com Top ten words the Irish use that confuse Americans 2.4.2015
I also went looking for some famous people in Ireland… (http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000036352/ ) (http://news.moviefone.com/2010/03/17/irish-actors-in-hollywood-movies/ )
I found some I know.
Liam Neeson ( Oh, I am including him I know he’s from Northern Ireland, but forgive me?)
We all know Devon Murray… Harry Potter anyone?
James Nesbitt as Bofur… oh… The Hobbit anyone?
Oh. There are so many actors and actresses… That could be a long list. Love them all. It’s the accent I tell ya. And maybe the countryside?
March 2015 Blog Chain
This month’s prompt: St. Patrick’s Day or Anything Ireland (Irish)
Each post should be less than 1000 words if possible. Read and comment on other participants’ posts if you possibly can–they’ll be doing the same for you!
Layla Lawlor http://www.laylalawlor.com
All photos care of Instagram: JayCottz1988 with permission for this blog only.